09 May 1840, Kentish Mercury
John Hatfield Hankin was born C1800 in Hertford, Hertfordshire although the 1851 census lists his birth place as Norfolk. Perhaps the census enumerator mixed up his place of birth with his mother in law’s. I believe he was christened at St Andrews Church, Hertford 26th Jan 1800 his parents listed as Joseph and Sarah Hankin.
His marriage banns were called 11th July 1824 at St Marys, Lambeth, Surrey and he married Mary Ann Townsend on the 1st August 1824. Both were ‘of this parish’ and signed by their mark. John was listed as a bachelor and Mary as a spinster.
They had 4 children:
1. Mary Ann Hankin, born c1826, bp 23.08.1826 St John the Evangelist, Lambeth, married Edward Epps 28.12.1845, Holy Trinity, Newington, Surrey. Died 3.11.1907 East Dulwich, Surrey.
2. John James Hankin, born c1829, bp 31.05.1829 St John the Evangelist, Lambeth , died July 1829 Lambeth.
3. Amelia Ann Hankin (my 3rd great grandmother) born c1830, bp. 4th July 1830 St John the Evangelist, Lambeth. Amelia married William Harrison 5th May 1850 Holy Trinity, Newington, Surrey and died in 19.07.1909 Ashford, Kent.
4. William Hankin, born c1831 Lambeth and was buried in St John the Evangelist 8th Jan 1832.
Mary Ann Townsend (my 4th great grandmother) died in 1832 in Lambeth, she was only 27, perhaps she died due to complications with child birth given that her son William Hankin was buried not long before Mary. Or perhaps there was an illness. Marys father James Townsend also died in Lambeth in 1832 (April).
Whilst researching my 3rd great grandmother I came accross an auction site listing a 19th century pictorial & verse sampler by Amelia Ann Hankin, aged 13 in 1843. Amelia was born in 1830 and lost her mother aged 2. The embroidered verse reads:
To the Motherless
When on the bed of death
My mother laid her head
To me with her expiring breath
These words of love she said
My child I soon must leave
Lifes rough and thorny road
But never for my departure grieve
I go to dwell with God
Amelia Ann Hankin her work finished in the 13 year of her age 1843
James Hatfield Hankin and Mary Ann Townsend residence:
James St, Lambeth, Surrey (Source: Mary Ann Hankin baptism cert which lists James as a Labourer)
Charles St, Lambeth, Surrey (Source: Amelia Ann Hankin baptism cert, lists James Hankin as a labouer)
Roberts Place, Lambeth, Surrey (Souce: Mary Ann Townsend burial cert)
Kings Place, Crosby Row, Bermondsey (Source: 1841 census)
Class: HO107; Piece: 1047; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 33; Page: 24; Line: 8; GSU roll: 474649.
1. Ann Townsend, age 60, Laundress
2. Elizabeth Townsend, age 15
3. John Hankin, age 40, Labourer
4. Mary Hankin, age 14
5. Amelia A Hankin, age 10
All born in the county
3 Little Charlotte Row, Bermondsey (Source: 1851-1861 census)
1851 Census: Class: HO107; Piece: 1562; Folio: 146; Page: 4; GSU roll: 174795.
1. Mrs Townsend (Head) widow, age 72, Laundress, born Hertford
2. John Hankin (Son) widow, age 52, Labourer, born Norfolk
3. Elizabeth Townsend (Daughter) age 27, Laundress, born Lambeth, Surrey
1861 Census: Class: RG 9; Piece: 325; Folio: 26; Page: 46; GSU roll: 542615.
1. John Hankin (Head) widow, age 62, Labourer, born Hertford, Hertfordshire
2. Ann Townsend (Mother) widow, age 84, Formerly Laundress, born Norwich, Norfolk
3. Mary Ann Epps (Grand Daughter) age 14, born Newington, Surrey
4. Martha Palmer (Neice) age 22, Ironer, born Bermondsey, Surrey